Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What are the Causes of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity (ADHD)?

Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder is a neurological disorder affecting about 5% of the population. It is characterized by multiple symptoms including the recurrence of hyperactivity and impaired concentration. ADHD is usually diagnosed during childhood but is considered to be a chronic condition with no cure.

My goal this semester is to learn about lib science while researching this disorder. I am specifically interested in the cause(s) of ADHD because it is often debated. Some argue genetics; others contend that the disorder is acquired after conception. Most agree that though there is no cure, affective treatments are available, including medication and counseling.

2 comments:

Alex Callihan said...

Nice topic, I like the new way you set up the prospectus, sounds better.

Corinne said...

I have ADHD and would be happy to answer any question that I can. There was a really interesting article in the Netherlands Medical Journal (not sure of name) that links ADHD to thyroid disorder. I also have a thyroid disease so I thought that was really interesting. I have also read that it is related to sitting your kids in front of the TV all the time.